Throughout my blog, I insert articles about my own special Sundays – cooking up food and ideas for the coming week.
This morning I made zesty meatballs with zucchini spears and arrabbiata sauce. The easiest food plan for me to follow is the Ketogenic Diet – eliminating carbs and sugar. There are plenty of Keto books, magazines and online resources in addition to the start up guide I use. This morning I made enough meatballs and sauce to freeze for 3 additional meals. I think I spent around $20 on groceries so that keeps in my budget range of $5.00 per meal. I journal about my kitchen experiments and adventures so I can one day assemble a fun and informative cook book of $5.00 meals for retirees living on a fixed income.
While the sauce was stewing, I started writing the London Ontario Seniors Housing Advocacy Guidelines – the 10 page document I’m creating for the Advocacy Team of the Age Friendly London Housing Working Group. We’re hoping to have a community information session for older adults and service providers in June 2019 – Seniors Month in Ontario.
Zesty arrabbiata sauce
- saute onions, chopped mushrooms and 3 cloves of garlic in 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- add oregano, basil, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- add 3 cups crushed tomatoes and small tin of tomato paste
- teaspoon sugar or stevia
- simmer 1/2 hour and skim off extra oil when finished
- extra tobasco will provide some extra zest