My co-worker is having a Swedish Glogg Party and I get to try out my Keto Swedish Meatballs!
I will admit, it’s not easy to start a Keto weight loss diet during the holiday season but it seems I’ve taken the challenge. I want to prove to myself that I can create and enjoy low carb/sugar recipes without feeling deprived of festive food treats. Note: I have now completed one week of Keto 28 and I’ve lost 3 pounds.
My doctor provided the incentive when she informed me I was “pre-diabetic.” Her firm orders broke through my denial “Lose 30 pounds and lower your blood glucose levels over the next 4 months!” We spoke about the Mediterranean Diet and the Keto Diet and she agreed with both/either as long as I’m getting the results I need. I now report to her every 4 weeks.
I stopped drinking and smoking years ago so it’s a good thing I don’t have to deal with those addictive urges. Nonetheless, a Keto Lifestyle can involve an initial discomfort of sugar withdrawal. I have also noticed I eat more when I’m bored so that is my primary lifestyle challenge. Avoid boredom in the evenings.
Leaving my comfort zone, I’ll shut down the computer, turn off the TV and head to the YMCA during the evening hours. I’m determined to lower blood sugar and lose the weight during the winter months.
LOW CARB SWEDISH MEATBALLS
- 1 pound ground beef or mix 1/2 beef with 1/2 ground pork
- ¼ cup shredded mozarella
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine meat, shredded cheese, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, onion, garlic powder, pepper, salt and eggs. Mix until combined.
- Roll into 20 small meatballs. In a large skillet pan, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked throughout. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- GRAVY – add 4 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup almond flour to skillet and whisk until the gravy turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add worchestershire sauce and dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.